The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) is seeking a Construction Engineer. Under the general supervision of the Construction Claims Manager, this position performs duties related to construction claims, including: identification, analysis, evaluation, strategy, documentation, monitoring, and litigation support.
HART is responsible for the design and construction of Honolulu’s rail transit system. The construction of the rail system is the largest infrastructure project in the State and will be the nation’s first fully-automated commuter rail system. It is an exciting time to be at HART as the first half of the rail system will be opening to the public in the near future. HART is a part of the City and County of Honolulu and its employees received the full range of City benefits. The environment is exciting, professional and fast-paced.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Review contracts, project documentation, related correspondence and other documents to identify potential claims issues.
- Review and analyze contractor claims to determine the validity of claims and draft clear and concise reports of findings and recommendations.
- Interpret terms and conditions in proposals, awards, and contracts.
- Monitor HART’s claims budget and raise awareness to the proper level, as appropriate.
- Provide guidance on Federal procurement regulations, specifically as they apply to construction claims.
- Communicate with HART project managers and other staff to acquire project documentation and pertinent facts relative to claims.
- Draft correspondence to provide claims support.
- Prepare reports, chronologies, summaries and other documentation in support of HART’s position for claims.
- Interface with HART’s construction management staff and appropriate experts to assist with the evaluation and monitoring of claims and to insure all parties have updated and relevant information.
- Draft, edit, and finalize correspondence, task orders, and other claims-related documents; develop reports in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or other software as required.
- Organize claims materials and files and insure appropriate access to all parties concerned.
- Strategize with HART project managers, Corporation Counsel, or others involved to provide analysis and litigation support for claims.
- An engineering degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. A degree in another related discipline that demonstrates knowledge and skills equivalent to those acquired in a course of study towards an engineering degree may also be acceptable. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 10 years work experience in the construction management field.
- Experience on a major public transit construction project or in an in-house legal department or law firm is preferred but not required.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience that demonstrates substantive knowledge and understanding of contract management, change orders, and/or construction field experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office suite of applications).
This position is entitled to a comprehensive benefits package as provided by the City and County of Honolulu, including:
- Vacation – employees may earn 21 days per year, plus 13 holidays per year. Sick leave is also provided.
- Health insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Employee assistance program
Schedule and Location
The work of this position is conducted in the HART offices (no telecommuting allowed) during typical 8-hour shifts.
$63,384 – $80,000 annually
- In addition to a resume, this position requires an Employment Application to be submitted.
- HART does not cover any relocation costs
- This position is not eligible for tele-working