The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART), a semi-autonomous agency of the City and County of Honolulu, is responsible for the design and construction of Hawaii’s largest infrastructure project and the nation’s first fully-automated rail transit system. Considerable work is in progress to extend the system past the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport and into downtown Honolulu, representing an 18.9-mile fixed-guideway rail system with 19 stations. It is an exciting time to be at HART, as the first segment of the rail system recently opened to the public.
Under the general supervision of the Construction Claims Manager, the Construction Engineer will perform duties related to construction claims, including: identification, analysis, evaluation, strategy, documentation, monitoring, and litigation support.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Review contracts, project documentation, related correspondence and other documents to identify potential claims issues.
- Analyze contractor claims to determine the validity of claims and draft clear and concise reports of findings and recommendations.
- Interpret terms and conditions in proposals, awards, and contracts.
- Monitor HART’s claims budget and raise awareness to the proper level, as appropriate.
- Provide guidance on Federal procurement regulations, specifically as they apply to construction claims.
- Communicate with HART project managers and other staff to acquire project documentation and pertinent facts relative to claims.
- Prepare reports, chronologies, summaries and other documentation in support of HART’s position for claims.
- Interface with HART’s construction management staff and appropriate experts to assist with the evaluation and monitoring of claims and to insure all parties have updated and relevant information.
- Prepare correspondence, task orders, and other claims-related documents; develop reports in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or other software as required.
- Organize claims materials and files and insure appropriate access to all parties concerned.
- Strategize with HART project managers, Corporation Counsel, or others involved to provide analysis and litigation support for claims.
- An engineering degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. A degree in another related discipline that demonstrates knowledge and skills equivalent to those acquired in a course of study towards an engineering degree may also be acceptable. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 10 years work experience in the construction management field.
- Experience on a major public transit construction project or in an in-house legal department or law firm is preferred but not required.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience that demonstrates substantive knowledge and understanding of contract management, change orders, and/or construction field experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
This position is entitled to a comprehensive benefits package as provided by the City and County of Honolulu, including:
- Time Off – Employees earn up to 21 days per year for both vacation and sick leave.
- Holidays – 13 days per year and 14 days per year during an election.
- Health plans – Includes medical, prescription drug, vision, and dental benefits.
- Retirement and deferred compensation plans.
- Group life insurance.
- Flexible spending benefits plan.
- Training and development through City-sponsored training.
- Employee assistance program.
- Pre-tax benefit on transportation expenses.
Schedule and Location
The work of this position is conducted in the HART offices (no telecommuting allowed) during typical 8-hour shifts.
$68,556.00 – $83,388.00 annually
- HART does not cover any relocation costs
- This position is not eligible for tele-working