Trial Running is a rigorous and comprehensive series of tests of all aspects of the trains, stations, systems and operating personnel, including the simulation of many normal and emergency operating scenarios. Trial Running is the final series of testing before the system is ready to proceed with operation.
Multiple trains will be operational and moving along the tracks. The testing will occur 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, on the elevated guideway between Kualaka‘i (East Kapolei) Station to Hālawa (Aloha Stadium) Station. In the testing areas, there is no set schedule of trains running as it will vary depending on the type of testing taking place. Testing will continue until the system achieves operational readiness status before the transfer of the system to the City Department of Transportation Services (DTS) for the initial launch of passenger service.
Trial Running is broken down into two basic distinct sections to ensure the system meets all safety and availability requirements:
- Completion of System’s Safety Certification: 66 operational test cases
- The test cases are broken down into 4 major groupings of tests. The first group includes 9 Normal Test Cases. The second group has 18 Degraded Operational Mode Test Cases. The third group has 10 Emergency Condition Test Cases. The last group has 29 Contingency Operational Test Cases.
- Demonstrates that the Honolulu Rail Operations and Maintenance staff have been properly trained to protect the riding public and ensure the safe operation of the system.
- System Availability Demonstration
- The system will operate on a revenue-like schedule and must attain a 98.5% availability level until operational readiness is achieved.
Safety around Trains, Stations and Guideways
HART urges the public to follow safety precautions and, when driving near the rail guideway, look ahead not overhead. During this testing phase, the third rail will be LIVE and ENERGIZED 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The public should avoid the rail tracks at all times.
- Do not watch or photograph the trains while driving. Keep your attention on the road.
- The stations may look finished but are still active construction sites throughout the testing phase. For safety purposes, please avoid the stations.
- Keep off the rail track. The trains are powered 24/7 by a “Third Rail” that carries 750 volts of electricity. Touching the third rail will result in death.
For questions, comments, or concerns regarding Trial Running, HART encourages the community to call the 24-Hour Project Hotline at 808-566-2299 or email info@HonoluluTransit.org.
Overall project completion % is based on the full 20 miles and 21 stations scheduled for 2031