Trial Running began on August 29, 2022, and was the final series of testing before the rail system is ready to be put into operation. Trains have been moving along the tracks from Kualaka‘i (East Kapolei) Station to Hālawa (Aloha Stadium) Stations—24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The 144 scenarios of normal and emergency operations were tested and the scenario testing was successfully completed in February 2023.
As a part of the comprehensive testing of all aspects of the operations, the Trial Running phase involved simulating various normal and emergency operating scenarios, including:
System Demonstration phase
- Simulated the system’s operation as if it was open to the public.
- To meet the required reliability standards during revenue-like operations, a 30-day rolling average of 98.5% reliability had to be achieved.
- This milestone was successfully achieved on April 2, 2023.
Rail System Completion Update
- In preparation for the initial opening of rail, the Trial Running test phase was completed in early April 2, 2023. This comprehensive testing program was the final series of tests before the system can be put into operation.
- HART finalized the safety certifications of all required operational and safety testing to ensure a smooth turn-over of assets to the Department of Transportation Services (DTS).
- The Honolulu rail system, officially named the Skyline opened on June 30, 2023.