The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) seeks a dedicated self-starter to fill the role of Director of Finance. This position leads an important organizational division of HART, reports to the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, and is responsible for fiscal operations, including financial reporting, forecasting, budgeting, accounting, grants management and procurement.
HART is responsible for the design and construction of Honolulu’s rail transit system. It is the largest infrastructure project in Hawaii and is the nation’s first fully-automated commuter rail system. It is an exciting time to be at HART, as the first half of the rail system recently opened to the public. Considerable work is in progress to extend the system past the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport and downtown Honolulu. HART is a part of the City and County of Honolulu, and its employees receive the full range of City benefits. The environment is exciting, professional, and fast-paced.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates all aspects of HART’s fiscal operations and ensures proper and consistent application of fiscal policies, procedures, and practices throughout the organization; sets departmental goals, objectives and priorities; ensures compliance with applicable city, state, and federal regulations and requirements.
- Collaborates with other HART leaders to understand and establish organizational priorities of the rail project’s status and schedule.
- Directs and participates in the development of HART’s operating and capital budgets, cash flow forecasts and long-term financial plans, including the assessment of funding and other necessary fiscal resources.
- Oversees the annual financial statement audit performed by independent accountants. Performs timely reviews of audit information and financial statements and actively engages in status meetings to ensure a timely completion of the audit.
- Leads and contributes in the preparation and analysis of financial statements and related activities.
- Analyzes procurement activities, including the development of procurement standards and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Administers HART’s General Obligation Bond program, including the determination of bonding needs and collaboration with the City’s Department of Budget and Fiscal Services and external bankers and bond advisors.
- Presents information and participates in discussions with the HART Board, City Administration, the Honolulu City Council, elected officials and their staff, and city, state and federal oversight agencies, among others.
- Assists the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer and Deputy Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer on financial matters
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or another field directly relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive financial leadership and supervisory experience.
- Governmental experience is not required but is preferable.
- Must have strategic planning experience and strong communication skills.
This position is entitled to a comprehensive benefits package as provided by the City and County of Honolulu, including:
- Vacation – Employees may earn 21 days per year, plus 13 holidays per year. Sick leave is also provided.
- Health plans include medical, prescription drug, vision, and dental.
- Retirement and deferred compensation plans.
- Life insurance.
- Flexible benefits plan.
- Training and development.
- Employee assistance program.
- Pre-tax benefit on transportation expenses.
Schedule and Location
The work of this position is conducted in the HART offices (no telecommuting allowed) during typical 8-hour shifts.
$117,828.00 – $156,990 annually
- In addition to a resume, this position requires an Employment Application to be submitted.
- HART does not cover any relocation costs